Friday 18 November 2011

Like Fine Wine...Gregory Peck...

I had that stubborn streak, the Irish in me I guess.  ---Gregory Peck

In my series, Like Fine Wine, I take admiring glances at men and women who have not only become universal icons whose fame stood the test of time but whose lives and careers paraded before us in a pageant of beautiful, graceful aging.

This week, I'm wallowing in the pool of girlish fan worship with one of my all-time favortes.

Tall. Dark. Handsome. Suave. Classy. Classic. Character. Integrity.

Gregory Peck.

Just starting out. Would you just look at this face that have stepped out of a modern Dolce & Gabbana ad.

Peck, with his trademark chiseled featrues, played a number of personalities....
Noir (and we know this trips ol' Zampa's switch...)


Older man with a younger woman (here with Audrey Hepburn), a very sexy role for him...

Quintessential man with glasses, a look that turns my knees to Jell-O

Mad Captain...

But one thing about him--that lands him on this page--is not only his dashing, extraordinary looks but his passge from youth to late years without skipping a beat in grace or losing an iota of his distinguished beauty.

Was it in the genes...?

That touch of class and masculinity that time cannot touch...

The trademark dark brows, silver hair...Gregory Peck. 

And don't forget that voice. Deep as midnight, rich as velvet.

But something else rode his persona, something no role--no matter how hard he tried--could cloud: his character. He just seemed to be an ordinary, good Joe. No conceit, no airs. Just an authentic man.

Ah. Looking at Peck with deep and dreamy sighs brings to mind the old proverbial they just don't make 'em like that anymore.



6 Comments:

AlanChinWriter said...

I couldn't agree more, Carol. My favorite role he did was in To Kill A Mockingbird. He wore glasses in that role, and there was something in the easy way he handled his children that made me want to be his son. I've had a crush on him every since.

C. Zampa said...

Alan, we're close in age, and I remember thinking the same thing of his role in To Kill a Mockingbird.
And then, for me, I crushed on him even more in later years to see him with Audrey, offsetting her young girl character with the older man. Swoon.
Just a portrait in class.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

I remembering crying when he died and my mother saying "He was from my generation, why are you taking his death so badly?" I had no idea. Until I grew up and realized he was just as you say, the quintessential man. There aren't many like him.

I saw an interview where they went to his apartment in NYC and he and the interviewer walked through Central Park. Can't remember who the interviewer was. LOL

Dorien Grey said...

How sad that young people today are not as familiar with the great actors I grew up with...Gregory Peck among them. Thans for the reminder!

C. Zampa said...

Joylene, I think I remember the interview you're referring to. I'd love to see that again!

C. Zampa said...

Hey, Dorien!
Those who don't know the wonderful men from this era just don't know what they're missing.
I'm glad my generation knows them and still enjoys them.